Here at the Birmingham Publicity Association we have been thinking long and hard about why we thinking Channel 4 should come to the West Midlands.
But to be honest, we didn’t have to think too much as to us, the reasons are obvious.
With the BPA having been thriving in Britain’s second city since the 1930s we believe we know a thing or two about how amazing it is, so we thought we would give you some pointers - and persuade you to get behind our campaign to get Channel 4 where it belongs.
1. Birmingham is the beating heart of the country. We are proud, we are creative and we will fight you for any claims on the Balti dish being created anywhere else.
2. We have the big five - Selfridges, Harvey Nics, John Lewis, Debenhams and House of Fraser, the city just oozes style, class and variety on a scale never seen before. And put with it with some of the finest food offerings such as Adam’s, Purnell’s and Simpsons, then sprinkle a bit of Digbeth Dining Club into the mix, things couldn’t be sweeter in the second city.
3. With Grand Central still shiny and new, Birmingham has never looked better - and just wait until the Paradise development comes our way. It will knock your socks off.
4. The Custard Factory, Digbeth and all the up-and-coming areas which are the places to be seen, and to showcase your skills, there is no reason to be anywhere else.
5. HSBC is on its way, and along with it, hundreds of jobs. Then we also have the expanding JLR factory and - we are pretty sure we cover all types of industry here. So Channel 4 bods will fit right in.
6. We have a bit of healthy competition with the BBC and ITV in the mix, along with Made in Birmingham telly. So come on Channel 4, you’re slacking.
7. The incredible, amazing, fantastic amount of sheer creative talent that is already here in agencies including McCann, Superdream, WAA Chosen and many more are being nurtured within the cities universities - including Birmingham City University, Birmingham University, Aston University, South and City College - and all of them offering skill training which would fit very nicely into the Channel 4 hub, thank you very much.
8. Transport links the M6, and M5, Spaghetti junction, Birmingham Airport and enough rail links to shake a stick at (and not forgetting HS2 on the way), we have got it made. Seriously you should move here, you’ll never want to look back.
9. Has anyone seen our library? And the spotted fashion inspired Selfridges building? Grand Central? And The Mailbox? All things of architectural beauty are in and around Brum, and there is plenty of room for more.
10. The West Midlands inspired the incredible Peaky Blinders series (thank you Steven Knight for this one), we have the Game of Thrones star Bran studying at one of our universities (winter is here) and the West Midlands has spawned some incredible acting talent too. So let’s keep it coming.
11. And finally, with Channel 4 having such a phenomenal creative and production hub of TV, along with being proud to be the diversity, cutting edge channel, pushing boundaries since it created Big Brother, the West Midlands is the perfect match. Birmingham was the home of the first ever reality Radio broadcast on our beloved BRMB, and so the region is used to pushing the boundaries the same way as they do.
For more details on the campaign and to demonstrate your support, visit www.thisisthebpa.co.uk/wmgeneration